Healthy Cherry Muffins
We love organic cherries, adding them into a delicious muffin is just one of our favourite ways to enjoy them. Cherries have a pretty short season in both hemispheres, but being nutrient dense they offer a wealth of benefits. High in fibre and vitamin C, with a low glycemic index of 22 they benefit the body by reducing oxidative stress and inflammation, improving osteoarthritis and lowering LDL cholesterol.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Print the recipe! Healthy Cherry Muffins
Preparation time: 10 mins
Baking time: 15–20 mins
Total: 30 mins
- 2 cups organic sifted wheat flour
- 4 tsp aluminium-free baking powder
- 2 tbsp organic coconut nectar sugar powder
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 80g organic butter, melted
- 1 cup organic rice milk
- 2 eggs
- 400g organic cherries, pitted
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and grease muffin tins with extra butter
- Wash, halve, pit and removed the stalks from the cherries.
- Sift together the all the dried ingredients
- Melt the butter and add to the beaten rice milk and eggs
- Add the wet ingredients to the dried, stir quickly and add the cherries
- Portion the mixture into the muffin trays
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 mins, or when a toothpick comes out clean
- Serve immediately.
The antioxidants help prevent macular degeneration and improve sleep quality.
In TCM cherries are used to strengthen the spleen, boost qi, improve blood circulation and detoxification, improve digestion which in turn improves skin conditions and relieve exhaustion and fatigue.
They crop is difficult to grow being susceptible to rain damage and the fruit is delicate, needing careful transport. This makes it a relatively expensive crop. Please note that if not organic it may come with high levels of pesticide residues being no. 7 on EWG’s ‘Dirty Dozen’ list.
Sugars & Sweeteners
Dried Herbs, Spices and Seasonings