This is a version of fresh ginger-garlic paste, one of the basic condiments used for flavouring Indian dishes. It is better to make your own from fresh organic ingredients rather than use one created to have an extended shelf-life with preservatives. This version will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks or 6 months in the freezer.
Here we have just added Himalayan rock salt and cold-pressed sesame oil which is traditionally used in Southern India, in Andra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. A similar paste is used in Kerala, but may be made with cold-pressed coconut oil.
Both ginger and garlic feature as superfoods to support the immune system and contain powerful antioxidants which protect the body against free-radical tissue damage and inflammation. They both have anti-viral properties and are beneficial in flighting colds and flu, as well as helping to lower blood pressure and thin the blood. Both are great for adding nutritional content and flavour to any dish and are good for allergies as they help flush toxins out of the body.
Originating in South-East Asia, ginger, (Zingiber officinale) has been used as a medicine and seasoning for at least 500 years and benefits those suffering from osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. It improves digestion and soothes diarrhoea, nausea and menstrual pains. Ginger also has fat burning properties and acts as an appetite suppressant. Our present organic ginger comes from Peru and has an intense, spicy flavour.
Native to Central Asia and used in the known world for thousands of years, garlic, (Allium
sativum) has a reputation of a ‘cure-all’ since Egyptian times. It was even part of the diet of
the slaves that built the pyramids. The abundant sulphur compounds in garlic including allicin, are touted to have anti-cancer properties as well as the ability to speed up the metabolism and encourage weight loss.
Credits: Ceri, Zenxin master chef
Print recipe here: Organic Ginger-Garlic Paste
- Preparation: 15 mins
- Total: 15 mins
- Makes: 10 good curry dishes
- 1 cup ~130g organic Peruvian ginger
- 1 cup ~130g Spanish organic morado garlic
- ½ cup ~35g organic coriander
- 1 tsp Himalayan rock salt
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed sesame oil
- Peel the ginger, scraping the skin away and chop into small pieces.
- Peel the garlic and rinse both garlic and ginger.
- Wash and chop the coriander.
- Add all three ingredients, plus the salt and sesame oil into the Thermomix bowl or blender.
- For Thermomix blend at speed 3.5, scraping down the sides occasionally until reaching the desired consistency.
- Place in a clean jar and store in the fridge or freezer for future use.