Organic Red Bean Sticky Rice Cake
Sticky rice cake is especially enjoyed during Chinese New Year because it symbolizes family cohesiveness. This sticky rice cake is called “ Nian Gao” in Chinese, which symbolizes increasing prosperity every year
Credits: Chef Irene Yip, over 30 years of culinary instruction experience
Print the recipe! Organic Red Bean Sticky Rice Cake
Preparation: 30 mins
Cooking: 25 mins
Total: 55 mins
- Ingredients MAIN INGREDIENT
- 300g Organic Dark Red Kidney Bean
- Ingredients A
- 200g Glutinous Rice Flour
- 200g Simply Nature Organic Wheat Starch
- Ingredients B
- 270ml Organic Creamed Coconut
- 250ml Water ⅛ tsp Salt
- Ingredients C
- 300g Gula Melaka 400ml
- 2pcs Pandan Leaves
- Cook red beans with water and simmer until cooked. Remove water and leave cooked red bean aside.
- Place Ingredients A in a mixing bowl. Add in Ingredients B gradually and mix to a smooth dough. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir together Gula Melaka and water. Bring to a boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, strain through a fine sieve to remove grit. Make sure you reserve 650ml Gula Melaka syrup.
- In a clean pot, pour in the syrup. Add cooked red beans. Bring to a boil.
- Pour the red beans syrup to the starch mixture. Mix well.
- Steam over high heat for about 25 mins until batter is set.